2 1.14%
  • Other

11 6.29%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AbiWord vs Kword vs OO.o vs LyX vs Ted vs Groff

Beans

Red face AbiWord vs Kword vs OO.o vs LyX vs Ted vs Groff

AbiWord vs Kword vs OO.o vs LyX vs Ted vs Groff

Having all these options installed I wanted to find out which was the fastest, fastest meaning fastest to load when I select it, also which is the easiest to use.

Unanswered for me is which one is the most compatible with other programs.

First a quick look at which is the fastest and the easiest to start.

1. Abiword is super fast and beside the splash screen open instantly to the page I can begin typing on. Editing the preferences I can quickly turn the splash screen off and it opens instantly. Nice 1 step function.

2. Kword also opens instantly but goes to a selection screen of templates, upon selection it opens the text document instantly. Fast 2 step function.

3. OO.o takes the longest of any word document to load, then when it does finally open it takes you to a selection menu.
    This so far is the least liked option and reminds me why OO.o is the first program I remove upon any new distro install.

4. Lyx, faster to load but then the selection process is again needed, and it may just be me but it looks a bit alien.

5. Ted...for me only available by typing Ted in the terminal, wonderful artwork opens up where you select a new document, very minimalistic.

6. Groff...installed but no quick launch and doesn't open via the terminal, perhaps I am missing something.

2nd step will be which is the easiest to use, I don't have time for this now but will try later.

I would say that upon first opening I like them the best in the following order:

1. Abiword
    2. Kword
    3. Ted
    4. LyX
    5. OO.o & Groff tied for the least favorite position.

a more in depth analysis will follow

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: AbiWord vs Kword vs OO.o vs LyX vs Ted vs Groff

I've only tried Abiword, Kword and OO.O writer and I have to say Abiword starts up very fast, Kword starts fast but the selection process is annoying and OO.O writer....let's just say It's slow and leave it at that
    EDIT: oh yes, about compatibility, they can all save in *.RTF so they are all compatible with each other, don't know about any special fonts that might intervene, I never use anything really special
    EDIT1: oh yah, I prefer KWORD and if I need something done fast Abiword

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Abiword all the way. However I'm writing a thesis soonish so I might have to use Latex (or Lyx) for it's reference manager. Any other suggestions?

Beans

Abiword, on Linux, on Windows, everywhere: http://portableapps.com/apps/office/abiword_portable

Beans

Abiword is the ****! I use it everywhere

Beans

Wow, I wasn't expecting Abiword to be number one (at this point in the poll, I don't know about the future)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I prefer oo, because it is the most compatible with word.. otherwice I like Abiword, and koffce more.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    I prefer oo, because it is the most compatible with word.. otherwice I like Abiword, and koffce more.
    Do you use MS Word often? (Work, School, etc)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I use OO because of its compatibility with MS Word (2k, XP and 2003). I can live with its modest speed. Once loaded, it is all right.

My employer only allows the .doc format for text documents and also requires that MS Word be used. Therefore, whenever I take the work home, I have to process documents in a manner which allows them to be used with MS products,

In my spare time, I work for an NPO. Quite a few of the other people there create their documents and mail from their place of work. Again, most of them are also restricted to MS Word.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Same here. MS Word compatibility is the deciding factor.

I'd use Abiword if it had better MS Word compatibility. But right now, wvWare, the library used by Abiword for MS Word documents, has not been updated for over a year and there are no signs of further development in their sourceforge svn or development mailing list.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast