Thread: GRUB stuck, wont load kernel

Beans

GRUB stuck, wont load kernel

Hello everyone,

On a system with multiple OSs (Lubuntu 12.04 and 22.04, Windows7) i have a problem loading 12.04 (i need it for some version specific work).

I tried boot-repair here are my logs:
    https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/g7PNCxbR6H/

Grub loads, i see the menu, when i select 12.04 (both recovery and regular) kernel does not load at all, it hangs on black screen.
    So I enabled debug output in grub, the screenshot of the line where its stuck is attached.

Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated,

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: GRUB stuck, wont load kernel

You typically need to have a Linux distribution that is newer than your hardware.
    That is so kernel, drivers & other support software can be updated to support that hardware.

You show an UEFI system with BIOS installs.
    So system is newer than the obsolete 12.04, and should not be expected to work.
    You might try a virtual install as that uses its own drivers, but I do not know about virualbox or other options.

Better question would be why 12.04 and find a solution using your 22.04 install.

Long term you should plan on converting to gpt partitioning & UEFI boot, but that will erase system, so good backups are required.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gulsrb View Post
    Hello everyone,

On a system with multiple OSs (Lubuntu 12.04 and 22.04, Windows7) i have a problem loading 12.04 (i need it for some version specific work).
    I do DEV?Testing and run across times when I need to do something that requires a specific release version, specific processor or specific arch. I simulate the sandbox and spin up a Virtual machine within it...

Just by coincidinence, My Ama-Gi Project, which the UbuntuForums 'system-info' script came from, was written with other scripts, on a distro I based on Ubuntu 12.04... So I have a 12.04 VM of it.

Have you thought about installing QEMU/KVM with Virtual Machine Manager? That way you could create a VM, that boot from Legacy/CSM, and keep it safe from the outside world? That way, you could also, easily take VM snapshots, while you are doing your "version specif work."?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You typically need to have a Linux distribution that is newer than your hardware.
    That is so kernel, drivers & other support software can be updated to support that hardware.

You show an UEFI system with BIOS installs.
    So system is newer than the obsolete 12.04, and should not be expected to work.
    You might try a virtual install as that uses its own drivers, but I do not know about virualbox or other options.

Better question would be why 12.04 and find a solution using your 22.04 install.

Long term you should plan on converting to gpt partitioning & UEFI boot, but that will erase system, so good backups are required.
    I dont know from where did you get that the machine supports UEFI, the machine is about two years older than the 12.04 OS.

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    I do DEV?Testing and run across times when I need to do something that requires a specific release version, specific processor or specific arch. I simulate the sandbox and spin up a Virtual machine within it...

Just by coincidinence, My Ama-Gi Project, which the UbuntuForums 'system-info' script came from, was written with other scripts, on a distro I based on Ubuntu 12.04... So I have a 12.04 VM of it.

Have you thought about installing QEMU/KVM with Virtual Machine Manager? That way you could create a VM, that boot from Legacy/CSM, and keep it safe from the outside world? That way, you could also, easily take VM snapshots, while you are doing your "version specif work."?
    The work i have to do involves emulating another system inside 12.04, so i try to avoid emulating on two levels.
    Besides i have the environment and everything already setup there, the problem is i couldn't boot with newer GRUB.

Anyway i found and fixed a bug in GRUB, i will report it to the maintainers so i guess the fix will be included in its future versions.

Thanks everyone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

UEFI line 101 in report says:
    The firmware seems EFI-compatible,
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Ok, so i found the bug exists only in Ubuntu's version of GRUB2 (from apt), regular GRUB2 source code is different and does not have that problem.
    One would think that the developers really want to discourage people from running older kernel versions

Here is a link to my bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/2012972
    Last edited by gulsrb; March 28th, 2023 at 01:26 AM.