Thread: Windows start up under my top panel

Beans

Windows start up under my top panel

Whenever I start up a new application it always starts at the top-left most corner of my screen. This wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have a panel up there, but it got so annoying that moved it to the bottom. I was wondering if there was a way to reserve that screen space so that new windows opened below the panel so I can see the title bar of new windows.

I've tried looking all across these forums for the same (or similar) problem, and the closest I found was some guy who wanted to reserve the screen space on the side of his screen (not the top). It seems like a simple setting to change, but I just can't seem to find it.

I hope I explained this little annoyance good enough. Please help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Windows start up under my top panel

Moved to Desktop Environments; this isn't a tutorial or tip.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Are you running Compiz?
    If you do, open CompizConfig Settings Manager, and goto to the Window Management category, and enable the plugin called "Place Windows".
    Open that plugin, and you might want to set the 'Placement Mode' to 'Smart' from the pull down menu.

Another thing, you can move a window by pressing the left mouse button anywhere on the window, and also pressing the Alt key.
    (Unless you have changed those settings to use other keyboard/ mouse button combo.)
    Live long and prosper.
    And use lotsa Linux, BSD, and Emacs.

Beans

hictio, you are the man! hope this helps the next person who has this same problem!

(i am running compiz and do have the hold alt-move from anywhere setting turned on, and i love it. problem is that when other people use it, they don't understand that little ditty. i must have turned the place windows setting off when try to minimize CPU usage. thank again bud.)